Third Floor Renovation 1998

Okay, so in the beginning I don't think there were blogs (or at the least I didn't know about them), and I didn't really have the foresight to take a lot of "Before" pictures. But I did take some "Progress" pics!
So back in 1998 we renovated the third floor.  I'd call it an attic but, there were two small rooms up there when we bought the house, and (obviously) there's one now...besides, after all the work that went into it, "attic" seems a little unceremonious!
Here's the earliest picture I could find.  At this stage I had already gutted the floor of the two rooms.  The walls were covered in beaverboard and the floor had two layers of linoleum.  By the design of it, the bottom layer was probably from the 1940's and, as an added bonus, the floor was insulated with old newspapers.  The downside of finding the papers was that I (as I so easily do) became distracted and spent an entire afternoon just reading World War II news!
At the time of this pic I had already insulated the entire floor, ran all new electricity all the way from the basement (which in itself would be worth a post or two) and had begun hanging sheet rock.  Luckily, the two radiators were already up there and just needed painting!
The next pic is just a "proof" pic.  Yep!  That's me!
You can see two interesting things here. First, the knee wall. It turned out plumb and straight, but as I found out later, I didn't build it quite correctly. Alas - it turned out okay though! The other thing - the little dog you can barely see: that's Bruegger the beagle. He was our buddy for a loooong time and just died two summers ago. He was our little buddy.
On the other side of the floor I built the knee wall out a little further so we could have a little "attic storage".
So here it is nearly done.  To the left of the chimney I put in some simple book shelves and created a bit of a reading nook.  Turned out to be a cozy little spot!
So that's the third floor makeover. As I troll through the photo albums I will include some more "older" projects, and certainly newer projects will be more thoroughly documented (not to mention recent!).
LESSONS LEARNED:
This was my first major project so the lessons were innumerable!  But here are a few of the key ones:
1.  When building a knee wall, build it as one unit then insert it into position.  This will make level, square and plumb a much easier job.
2.  When mudding the sheet rock, several thin layers are vastly superior to one thick layer!  Oh the mess!
3.  The local library has a lot of books!  Some of them even cover topics like electricity!  
Maybe in future posts I will be a but more informative with my lessons learned, but looking back these were the chief lessons!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made at 173: Dining Room Table

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls