Skip to main content

New "Semi-wattled" Garden Fence

So, once again I forgot to take "before" pictures, but trust me - the old garden fence was pretty pathetic.  It was initially put up years ago to keep Bruegger, then Linus out.  It was made of ferring strips and chicken wire and was only planned to be temporary.  Of course, 14 years is temporary, but nonetheless...a little longer than planned!

As is the case so often, this was one of those spur-of-the-moment projects.  It was a Saturday morning and I was looking around the yard for a quick project.  My eyes settled on the garden fence...the rest as they say, is history.  About five minutes later the old fence was gone...

So I started out with some post holes.  Lucky for me it's been a very wet spring so the post holes (three of them) took about 20 minutes.  Then I stood back and planned what to do.  Off to Lowes to get a couple posts, crawled under the back porch and pulled out a few 2x4s from an earlier project - and I was under way!

This picture is pretty obvious...posts in post holes.  Two things to notice though - first, I love my post level (that green thing on one of the posts), it really makes a one man project a lot easier!  Then...and here's the BIG one - I had presence of mind enough to pull out some cardboard to put the dirt on instead of just in the yard.  I know this may not seem like much, but I can't tell you the messes I've made over the years just because I wouldn't think of that until too late!


After the posts were in, I built some frames and just used deck screws to fix them to the posts.  As you can see, I did a semi-wattle here.  Last summer we lost one of the apple trees and a large part of a birch trss, so we saved the branches with something like this in mind...


Just another shot...


Then it was just a matter of staining...I used Baer Semi-transparent deck stain in "coffee" color.  I thought with everything else in the yard things were starting to look a little too monochromatic...thought this would be a nice contrast.


So there you have it.  The 3 hour, $30, semi-wattled fence!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…