Across the country temperatures have been outrageous this past week. I don't know, maybe with age I'm getting soft, but I just couldn't bring myself to work outside, so I did a little project in my workshop in the nice, cool basement.
Start with a small oak stool - boring!
So I primed and painted with some Behr primer and paint leftover from the back porch remodel.
I've noticed that numbering things is all the rage lately, so I thought I'd give it a try. I don't have stenciling supplies, so using Word (you know - the computer program), I wrote out "No. 173" and went through all the fonts until I found one that looked kinda old world-y. Then I realized I didn't have any carbon paper. So I used some painter's tape to tape my printed number to the stool and traced the outline of the numbers onto the paint. I just used a pen and pressed down hard enough to leave an imprint but not too hard so as not to push through the paper. Then I very caref…
Just when you thought you'd heard the last of the back porch - mwahhhahahaa! Seems like I'm always remembering "one last thing." This weekend was the back door. Here's the before:
From that angle and distance, I guess it doesn't look all that bad with the exception of the bare spot from my experimental heat-gun test last fall. But up close the whole door looked like this:
So there wasn't much choice but to strip this thing down to the bare wood. After all, as you've read ad nausem - that's what the rest of the back porch went through.
So out came the handy dandy Wagner heat gun. As you can see, I had a "plan". Actually the next picture shows either my obsession-compulsion, or some level of ADD. I did all the rails first, then the stiles.
Then I came to the area with the windows. Now, I knew that I couldn't aim the heat gun right at the glass because it would crack. Well, I have now learned that you really shouldn't aim …
In the summer of 2001 we grew tired of our yard looking like this:
There's a few things to notice in that picture. First and foremost is our little buddy Bruegger. He was our first dog and died a grand old age a couple years ago. In the background you can see our old chain link fence. That thing was horrible, but we had to live with it - until 2001! Also notice the car port, that'll make another appearance in a future "Retro Post". We took out the old chain link, put in a Home Depot picket fence and I built an arbor for some climbing roses. The fence was stained with Behr Deck Stain in Cedar, it came out very orange but we figured it would darken over time, which it did.
It was fun for a while though, whenever friends were coming over for the first time, we gave general directions and told them to just look for the orange fence!
I won't go into details here, but you can also see that the carport was done too (as well as the driveway). I do like how the fence …
Yesterday was one of those days when I just couldn't get into any one big project. So I went around the yard and did a few of those little jobs that have been niggling in the back of my mind.
Years ago someone on This Old House said that water was the worst enemy of a house. Ever since then I worry - just a little bit - when it rains. After shingling the back porch I started worrying about water overflowing the rain barrel and causing damage, so I put in an overflow spigot. I'll attach a length of hose and direct the rain away from the house!
So, while I had the drill out, I decided to fix the downspout too. When I installed that flexible part, I wasn't paying attention and put it inside the downspout:
I didn't think an "after" picture was necessary, but you get the idea. Now all the water should flow into the rain barrel! Then there was this little strip under the trap door on the side of the porch. I tried shingling it, but the pieces were too small a…