Skip to main content

Even More Door Stuff AND I Made the Reading List!

It's incredible to me how many little things go in to simply changing the color of the back door.  Here's the list (for crying-out-loud) SO FAR:

1.  Strip the door
2.  Make my own window stop for step #3
3.  Replace glass broken during step #1
4.  Prime the door
5.  Paint said door
6.  Touch up paint removed because I keep doing something wrong with the painter's tape
7.  Notice how bad the hardware looks - remove, strip, prime and paint, re-install hardware

Then today:
8.  Notice that the door sweep and the weather stripping looks horrible, so replace weather stripping.

Now, step #8 wasn't difficult at all, and the results made a fantastic difference, but - I can't get over the fact that I keep running into more things to do with the door!  Good Grief!  It's time to move on already!

A couple things I learned about weather stripping the door:

1.  It's REALLY easy - took less than 45 minutes.
2.  It comes in colors other than just aluminum!  I went with oil rubbed bronze to match the hardware
3.  While installing weather stripping, don't just close the door - lock it too!  Something about locking the door drew it into the frame tighter.
4.  The back door remodel is endless!  I can't even imagine what other steps lurk out there on the back porch!

I don't have Before and After pics of today's little project, and even if I did they'd probably be pretty boring.  But I took these pictures the other day and I love how the yellow door looks so what better place to share?





(Try to ignore the last bit of laundry on the line there!)

THEN!  There's this bit of fun news!  The folks over at The Stucco Bungalow have started a new blog called Blue Door Blogs.  It's fun because they...well, let me see if I can get this "Quote" tool to work:

No daily voting. No link party themes. No winning. No losing. No kidding. Just a big fat reading list of house blog posts from hard working folks with similar interests and very different points of view. 

 

I love reading house blogs, I find inspiration, education and motivation, so this should really be a great blog!  BUT - what makes it even better is - they listed MY blog!  I'd love to say that it's because they saw the quality workmanship and creative writing style and just HAD to list it!  Yeah! Umm, no.  The truth is - I asked them!  The really neat part is - they said YES!  I have no delusions of grandeur about this blog, but I'm honored that they didn't just wad up my request and throw it in the trash, and I'm excited that maybe more than 2 or 3 people might see it!!

So - THANKS Blue Door!

Comments

  1. YOU ARE WELCOME 173 and thanks so much for your support!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…