Skip to main content

Retro Project - Garden Bench (From Leftovers!)


I'm in a hotel for the week.  Nope!  Not vacation.  I have one of those jobs that takes me out of town on occasion.  It's not a bad gig at all, but really - there's no place like home!  So, I'm sitting here in a small town, in a major chain hotel (which shall remain nameless because it's really run down), and I thought this was a good time to post another Retro Project...you know - a project I did some time ago, before blogs!

Today, it's a garden bench.  Several years ago we re-did the fence.  As with all projects, there was leftover material, and we're all about using stuff up!  One day we were at a nursery looking for some perennials and maybe a tree when we saw a gorgeous, simple garden bench.  After asking the manager of the nursery permission (so as not to look like a lunatic) I pulled out pen, paper and a tape measure and started making a diagram.  Using nothing but leftover lumber, this is what came about:


Okay, I know the finials may be a little kitchy, but they were left over too, so....!  


As you can see from the pictures, it was done with very simple joinery using nothing more than my circular saw and a chisel and hammer to clean out the joints.



After 10 years, it's holding up really well.  I had to replace one of the seat boards a few years ago, but other than that - it's all original.  The angle on the back board is perfect, making it a very comfortable bench!


I thought about doing some step-by-step directions for building one, but that seemed like an awful lot of work if nobody was interested.  BUT, if anyone IS interested in building this garden bench, leave a note in the comments and I'd be more than happy to write it out!

Thanks for reading!


Comments

  1. Great looking bench (came here Googling), and that angle is a good idea. I don't need a very detailed step-by-step, but some pointers : how deep (front to back)is the seat, and what is angle for the back? I think you have used 4x4, but I'm planning to reuse some 2x4 I have - bad idea?

    And yeah - what's the finish?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…