Skip to main content

Public Records - Creepy

I'm in a hotel for the weekend for work, in one of those towns that doesn't have much going on 'til summer and in the winter they roll the sidewalks up at 6:00 pm.  So I can't get any work done on the house. Mr. Griffin is in pieces on the dresser, and I have hotel-quality cable TV.  With little else to do, I find myself looking up off-the-wall stuff on the internet.  I have no idea how I got onto this particular line of searching, but I came across some public records about ol' 173.  At first I thought it was pretty cool to find this stuff, then it got to buggin' me that there's so much information out there - for anyone's perusal!  Well, I guess there's not much to be done about it.

So what I found was the Deed, Property and Tax records and this is the information on the very first page:


Property Address
173
Town Name
Albany
Square Footage
1231
Property Class
1 Family Res
Building Style
Old Style
Year Built
1927
School District
010100
Tax Map #
76.77-2-35
Swiss Code
010100
Parcel Status
A
Tax Code
H
Bank Code

# of Bedrooms
3
# of Full Baths
1
# of Stories
2.0
# of Fireplaces
0
Heat Type
3
Fuel Type
2
Central Air
0
Basement Type
4
1st Story Sq. Ft.
637
2nd Story Sq. Ft.
594
Finished Attic
0
Overall Condition
3
# of Kitchens
1
Valuation District
10  

Here's a few things I thought was interesting.  First, was the "Building Style".  Looking at my previous post, you probably realize I suffer from a small case of Identity envy.  Seems like the tax assessors were kinda muddled too!  The next thing of note to me was the square footage which came up to 1,231 sq ft, which by today's standards I guess, is pretty small.  Funny, seems plenty big for us!  Of course, what isn't mentioned is the finished attic and a fully functioning basement, complete with laundry room, workshop, and what?  Basement space?  Anyway, 173 certainly lives larger that 1,231.  The last thing that really caught my attention was the year built.  1927.  For years I thought it was built in '29, then I adjusted my thinking to '28.  Well, apparently I was still wrong - 1927 it is!


That's my stuck-in-a-small-town-hotel surfing safari.  Wonder what other scary stuff I can find.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…