Skip to main content

Garden Fence - 2013 Version!

Back in May, 2011 I built the beginnings of a wattled fence for the garden.  It started out quite nice and I thought it had a lot of potential.  Everyone I showed pictures to liked it.  Neighbors who walked by liked.  Seemed like such a great idea.  Here's what it started out looking like:


The idea was to continue adding branches over time and make a nice solid fence.  This kind of fence has been known to last many years, and as it seems I do a new fence every year or two - this seemed a great idea!  You know the old saying, "...best laid plans," ?  What I didn't plan for was this:


Thaaaat's right...you fell for it didn't you?  I can hear it now...awwww he's so cute!  What a sweety! He's so adorable!  Well, all those things are true for sure...but what you don't know is this adorable representative of the Man's-best-friend club made an absolute mockery of the wattle fence!  Oh he wasn't vicious about it or anything.  As a matter-of-fact, soon after it was built I found Linus in the garden.  I couldn't believe it!  I went out and looked and couldn't find one stick out of place!  It took a few days before I actually watched him - he simply nudged a brunch up, and gingerly stepped through.  Good grief!  What is his fascination with that garden??

So what now?  A new fence!  I belive this must be at least the fifth version of a fence for the garden, I'd like it to last awhile!  Here's the simple requirements:  1- It had to be durable, 2-it had to look good and 3- it had to be Linus-proof.  That's it...nothing special.  I started thinking this through last fall.  A million trips to Lowes and Home Depot and considering all kinds of options later... the first order of business was to remove the wattle fence.  Good-bye formerly great idea.


Then it was time to do a rough fit to see how it would look.  Thaaaaat's right!  The wrought-iron looking fence!  I thought it would be a nice contrast to all the wood going on in the back yard.  We let it sit for a couple weeks to see if the layout was going to work for us.


Turns out, the layout worked just fine.  So I removed that bit of grass that was on the inside of the fence, then dug a trench for that plastic border stuff that helps keep the grass from growing back into the garden.


Then it was just a matter of getting it all lined up.  


Oh, and for the first time I added a little 4'x4' raised bed to the garden.  We have pretty hard soil so I thought this might give some of the root veggies a little better chance!


There you have it!  2013's iteration of the garden fence.  And look at those strawberries coming in!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…