Skip to main content

Made at 173: Rustic Bookcase

Not long after we bought 173, we put in a new basement floor and while we were at it we replaced the basement windows.  Well...if you've followed this blog for any time at all, you know we're all about re-purposing stuff.  So we kept a few of the old basement windows.

One of them I put mirrors in and mounted on the side of the shed ... I dunno, sounded like a neat idea at the time.  The others I don't recall where they wound up, except for one.


After the front porch was remodeled a number of years ago, I had "my" little corner.  


I found that old Morris chair at a little country auction for $25 oh maybe 10 years ago or so.  Anyway, THAT'S what this post is about.  No, not the Morris chair - see that little bookcase?  Yep - Made at 173!  Like I said, I had that old basement window, and wanted something to go with the chair, so I got the idea for the bookcase.


I just use it for some old-school nick-nacks (is there supposed to be a "k" in front of those?) and a place to set my iced tea.  It was a quick project...I had a few scrap boards and two old hinges lying about the workshop, so it didn't cost anything.  And I just used butt joints because I wanted a kind of Adirondack/Maine forest feel to it.  


Because of where I was going to place it, I thought it would be better to put the hinges on the bottom of the case instead of the top.  


And I just used an old rusty hook for a latch.  Oh, and that old closet hook?  I inherited a drawer full of them with 173.  So I put one on the side of the case.  I also inherited a circa 1940s wire catcher's mask that usually hangs on the hook, but like I said, we're in the middle of a re-do right now so it's packed away.


Then I just put a few odds and ends in it. Well, that's it - Made at 173!

NOTE:  In the years since this book case was originally built, the front porch has undergone some changes.  Here is the most recent iteration of the case (as of March, 2014):


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…