Skip to main content

At Long Last - Front Porch Reveal!

173 is so lucky to have two great closed-in porches!  When we first moved into the house, the front porch was getting a little tired, and needed an update.  A couple years later we gave it a mini-makeover.  Here's a mid-project shot taken lo those many years ago:
Looking at that picture really makes me realize how much a difference a digital camera can make. That old film picture makes the porch look tiny. And how about those chairs? I guess that was about all we could really afford back then. Anyway, the mini re-do left the porch looking like this:
I loved the look of this version, but those windows just had to go!
We were pretty pleased with the result, but as explained in this earlier post, there were some flaws, particularly the windows. In December of 2011, the windows and door were finally replaced. Of course having that much work done exposed the fact that the porch was again beginning to show its age. 
So we finally went all out and got 'er done! Of course it was a lot of work...using the heat gun to remove paint (now THAT seems like an endless task), caulking, priming, painting etc etc etc...

Nothing like stripping paint overhead
After the overhead paint removal was done...
...the floor was sanded, then the lower half was sanded and caulked, cleaned top-to-bottom three times over, and primed with Kilz prime.  I gotta tell ya - that stuff really works!
Then came the painting!
It's hard to capture the colors with my little phone camera, but here's what was used:
  • WINDOW FRAMES:  "Do It Best" Best Look white paint
  • LOWER PORTION OF WALLS:  Valspar Duramax semi-gloss "Sweet Mint"
  • FLOOR: "Do It Best" Porch and Floor in light gray
  • DOOR: (Interior and Exterior) Valspar Duramax semi-gloss in "Goldenrod"
Before I go any further I have to say this...that Do It Best "Best Look" paint is awesome!  Apparently it's made by Sherwin Williams and up to this point it's the best paint I've used! We went with the light gray for the floor so it would be a lighter color than the old brown, be a neutral color, and a bit of a traditional porch color.  And the "Sweet Mint" was light, colorful, and while not an exact match, it hearkened to another traditional porch color!  
After the painting was done, the blinds went in, then it was time to start the decorating.  The decorating part isn't done yet, but that will take a little time.
Here's a few random pics:
There's the inherited chair!
And here's a few shots of my little corner:
I found this old clock/radio in a second hand shop several years ago and have been waiting for this moment!  The radio works great but I had to replace the clock with one of those battery-powered movements.  I wanted an old school look so I went with a simple shelf.  If you know me at all, that's probably not the least bit surprising!
And the "Made at 173" rustic book case:
And finally, just as a point of interest!
So there it is - 173 has a new, brighter front porch!

Comments

  1. Aside from the camera, I think it’s the dark atmosphere that made the old porch looked tiny. The revamped versions looks fresher and livelier because of the upbeat color scheme that made it look more open. Great improvements, GB Shaw! Lyn at DAL Builders

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Made at 173: Dining Room Table

OK, so this table wasn't exactly made at 173, but it was re-done!  Bear with me a minute.  For years the dining room was just missing something...
I know, it's not Christmas, but you know, with all the pictures taken around here, there just isn't a clean shot of the dining room...this was the closest.  But it gives you an idea - there's no table!  It's been that way ever since the previous family was here... Huh.  Just dawned on me...that's a Christmas picture too.  Anyway, just hadn't put a table in there.  For the longest time we just weren't sure what kind of table belonged.  There are so many choices out there! Seriously though, I think it was always destined to be a pedestal table.  But there were conditions...it  had to have an interesting build, it had to have a leaf, and it could NOT be oak!  So that really put limitations on what kind of table 173 would have. It wasn't even on the radar (although it was kinda always on the radar) for a din…

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:
So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like: It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout): Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below: What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.   Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when y…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...
If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it: I used this stuff: I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose. Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it: And here's the sheet of metal behind it: Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue? Only one thing to do - cover it: I…