Skip to main content

Filling In the Blanks

Ever look at something and think, "Geeze, something's missing."?  Ever look at something for 16 years and think "Geeze, something's missing."?  I have.  For 16 years now I've been looking at 173 and thinking something was missing.  Actually, we can make that about 13 years because maybe about three years ago it occurred to me what was missing.  But I get ahead of myself...

If you read this blog at all, you've seen many pictures of the exterior of good ol' 173. 

Yeah, there's a lot of work yet to be done, but that's still coming!  This post is about those two windows on the second floor.  It just always felt like something was missing, and like I said - I figured it out!

Thaaat's right!  Shutters! I know the black doesn't exactly go with the brown porch, but there's a reason...a reason that'll come to light in the hopefully-not-too-distant future!  And of course, you can't do shutters on just one wall...

So then came the back.  Actually it was the back wall that always made me think something was missing.  Unbelieveable as this may seem, I actually don't have a "before" pic of the back of the house, but probably because I just never liked that vast expanse of white!  I like it sooo much better now!  And again - there's more to come!  In the meantime...

 Ya gotta do the side wall too!  Reeeally starting to like the look of 173 now!  And I have to show you this...

Nope!  That's not me.  Somehow, somewhere along the way, I've lost my nerve with ladders.  So I had to recruit my neighbor once again. Thanks a million Paul!  Another nice shot:

And a little before and after:

Looking forward to the next stage!


Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:

So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...

If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:

I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…