After the last post, a reader (Old House Lover) was kind enough to point out that some of the pictures from older posts were missing. I went back through and tried to recreate (reinsert?) the pictures the way they were.
Oh, if anyone knows how to allow comments to be seen at the bottom of posts on Blogger, drop me a line! Thanks!
So it was time. At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:
It was getting there. Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting! Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):
Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors. As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:
What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good! Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.
Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it? The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word). I hate when yo…
The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...
If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink. And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room. It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:
I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it. Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess. All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:
And here's the sheet of metal behind it:
Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??
It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take back seat. However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen. I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone. Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh. I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.
The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white:
Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway. Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!
Same end, looking at the other side:
Then looking toward the back yard:
As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:
This is in the breakfast nook. The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…