Skip to main content

Punch List: Part the Third - Hatch Door

After removing the shingles from the south end of the front porch, I figured I should cut an access panel into the wall so we could use the area under the porch for storage, you know, things like ladders, lumber and whatever else we have that we just don't know where else to stow it.  So I started out by drilling a hole in those beautiful boards.  In the picture below you can see a hole just to the right of the access panel.  When I was looking at the porch, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the porch floor was in relation to the ground.  You'd think it would have been easy to figure out but believe me - nothing is easy with old houses. So that hole gave me a sense of where the bottom of the porch floor was and where the studs were.  From there it was just a matter of drilling another hole (still not exactly on the mark), drawing some lines and then cutting with the saber saw.  


After opening the whole, imagine my surprise when I found lattice behind there!  After talking to a neighbor whose grandfather had built most of the house in the neighborhood, we came to the conclusion that when 173 was built, it likely had an open porch like a few other houses on the block.  At the very least, the lower half of the porch was just lattice!  Me being me, I found this exciting and interesting...it leaves me with more thoughts about what 173 really looked like when she was first built!

Anyway, with the days getting shorter, and that whole job-thing taking up most of the day, I find myself just trying to tick off one little point of the punch list each evening before the darkness falls.  Tonight was the access panel, or what we've taken to calling the "escape hatch" (although I've been under the porch...it is not a place to escape to!).  Here's the hatch after the siding was up:


The raw materials:  leftover plywood, leftover vinyl lattice and leftover tar paper (picking up on a theme here?).   


After cutting the plywood size, I wrapped it in tar paper.  This served two purposes:  One - a bit of weather proofing.  I always hate the look of plywood when the weather starts wearing it out.  The other purpose was - I had something in mind.
  

Then I cut some lattice to size and used some small nails to face-nail the lattice in place (I ended up cinching the nails on the back side).  Here's how it turned out:


So the thought was that the tar paper behind the lattice would just make the whole thing look open, kind of like a grate.  One more item off the punch list!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…