Skip to main content

Diving into the Laundry Room

On to the laundry room.  I've had mixed feelings about this for, well to be honest - since the day we bought 173.  It's complicated, cement, electrical, plumbing, carpentry etc etc... This room's going to take just about every (near) skill I have.  I have no delusions...this is a basement laundry, it'll never have that ultra-finished look to it, but we're looking forward to it looking better than this:


See that lone, hanging light bulb?  Besides the window, that's the only light in the room.  And here's a shot the other way:


Not much better huh?  So this weekend I dove in.  Part of the problem was deciding what order to do things in.  Well, nothing could get done until the appliances were out of the way.  For that, and for the first time ever, 173 has a hand truck, I suppose that was going to happen eventually, I'm just not getting any younger. Moving the washer and dryer revealed a shocking mess!


Look at this will ya??!!


Enough of that...the loose concrete had to come off, and I removed some of the old plumbing.


The spot under the window was alarming!  I kept tapping and more concrete just kept falling out.  I was beginning to worry I was going to see snow!  But it did eventually stop, check it out:


Anyway, moving on...here it is all cleaned up.  You can actually start to see the nice tile we laid back in '99.


Then up went the cement:


After the cement went up, the next step was to finish the wall, in a sense.  See that arrow?  That points at a 4" gap from the top of the wall to the joists above.  


I think the gap was left because all manner of electrical wires run through there.  It looked like hell.  


Besides that, I have a plan for the ceiling, so I had to figure a way to fill or cover that gap.  I decided to cover it.


Hey!  There's the new hand truck, my new best buddy!  So, that's how the weekend ended...pretty satisfied with the progress up to this point!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…