Skip to main content

“The urge to destroy is also a creative urge.” - Picasso

After my little electrical mishap the other day, the last couple evenings have finally seen the destruction of the laundry room/workshop wall.  There really wasn't a great angle to get it all in, but here's a shot of the little wall behind the furnace (I even added an arrow in case you couldn't pick it out):


The little wall gone, time to move on to the main wall.  Again, an arrow to help out:


And here it is all torn down.  


I have no idea what the beaver boards said in this case.  But let me tell you something...this wall was built to last!  It was three layers...under the beaverboard was this thin balsa wood-like layer, all nailed to 1x8s!  And when I say nailed, I mean about a thousand three inch railroad spikes!


See that electric panel hanging down from the main beam?  That provides the service to the kitchen upstairs, and half the laundry room.  Half.  Anyway, it was nailed to the wall, so - no wall, no support.  The weight of the cable itself nearly tore it down.  So I had to cob up a temporary support for it - and after my mishap the other day - I wasn't too thrilled to be doing that!


Then tonight was all about clearing out all the rubbish.  Now the side yard looks like a trash dump. But it's starting to come together:


Here's a shot looking into the laundry room.  We put the tile down several years ago...so proceeding will have to be careful.


So the next step will be laying some concrete...we'll see what time I get out of work tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

Made at 173: Dining Room Table

OK, so this table wasn't exactly made at 173, but it was re-done!  Bear with me a minute.  For years the dining room was just missing something...


The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it: