Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from March, 2014

If My Mother Wasn't Reading this I'd Probably Use Some Off-Color Language!

I don't know about you, but when I'm nearing the end of a big project a couple things happen...I get antsy to finish it, I start thinking about what's next, and counter-intuitively - I slow down.  It's not exactly that I lose interest, I think it's just that the devil is in the details, and by the time I get to the punch list - it's a %$&^*@# million little devils, most of them painting (which I hate).  So this is one of the only shots of I have of this angle on the laundry room, but it gives a sense of how the corner with the chimney was looking:


I realize some people would think it best that the paint be sanded off the brick, that it would give the room a nice rustic look, but let's be honest...the laundry room at 173 is anything but rustic, unless of course you mean rustic in the "rough hewn" sense! So we painted it with the Drylok.  One little devil done - and geeze, what a difference!

Then there was this little devil.  See the circuit box…

The Laundry Room Celing - (Hopefully) Never Again!

I'm not in a great mood, so there won't be a lot of jibber jabber tonight, but I did want to post some update pictures.  Most of the laundry room is done, meaning that the basement project is nearing the end! After this weekend, I'm really down to just punch-list items.  So without further ado...as you can see from the pic below, some of the pipes in the laundry room hung pretty low.  For the most part the new ceiling would cover them, but because of their positioning, some couldn't be and would be a major pain to work around.


So I figured I would soffet around them.  Here's the basic framing:

Then it was just a matter of some 1x6's:

After that, it was ceiling time.  Of course I started with the grid...

Lemme tell you something, it's a fairly small room and it wasn't real hard to do, but if I never put in another drop ceiling it'll be too soon!  Then came the tiles...

Next is a wider shot.  Things are going pretty fast now, so some of the flaws you …

Made at 173: Under-The-Sink Trolly

Every once in awhile I like to build something, and usually out of scraps from other projects.  In this case I wanted to make a little pallet for under the new laundry room sink to put some of the cleaning supplies on.  I know it's kind of silly to bother to post about something like this, but I'm laid up in bed trying to get over a pretty rough cold, so while I'm watching a B-grade movie called "They" on Netflix, I thought I'd post it anyway.  Looking around the wreck of a basement I currently have, I remembered that I had a piece of counter top from when we re-did the back porch.  So I figured I'd use it and some 1x3 stud remnants to make the little pallet...


For $6 I also picked up a set of casters to make for ease of use, you know - that whole...getting older thing. The whole little project took about 15 minutes!  Next time I have the paint out I'll paint the front of the pallet. 

 Here's a longer view...

So there's a little project Made a…

And the Wall Goes Up!

Geeze, it's been almost a month since I took down the wall between the workshop and the laundry room, and I've finally reached the point where the new wall could go up.  Here's a shot where I was laying out the sole plates.  Because of all the pipes (and other stuff) in the ceiling, I had to build the wall one stick at a time.  I laid out the sole plates and used a good ol' plumb bob to figure out where the top plate would go.


I used Tapcon bolts and my hammer drill to fix the sole plates to the concrete floor, then just cut cut cut.  So here it is...I don't know why the picture makes it look like the studs are out of alignment, but believe me - this is the only plumb and square wall at 173!  

And from the laundry room side...

Then it was time to put up the sheet rock.  I decided to go with 1/2" Hardiebacker cement board.  Even though the basement at 173 is dry and there's not been any mold...I figured what the hey!  Besides, it came in 3'x5' sheet…

More Laundry Room Progress!

When last we met, I had finally dove into the laundry room, and it was looking like this:


The painting is finally done...

...so I moved onto the plumbing.  I figured the plumbing was going to remain exposed, so I thought I'd give the quick connect fittings a shot.  Man!  those things are expensive, but they worked like a charm!  I added some wood blocks for support (and yes, they'll be painted), and strapped the hell out of the pipes.

And here's a wider shot...

The funny thing is, even though those quick connect fittings work great, it still took me an entire day to put it all together.  I had it all figured out one way, got half way through assembling it, and decided on another layout I thought would work better.  I wanted to be able to shut off the laundry water supply and the sink water supply separately, so it took forever.  In the end, I think it was well worth it. Of course the whole drain system for the sink had to be done too, but that was all PVC - much easier to …