Skip to main content

And the Wall Goes Up!

Geeze, it's been almost a month since I took down the wall between the workshop and the laundry room, and I've finally reached the point where the new wall could go up.  Here's a shot where I was laying out the sole plates.  Because of all the pipes (and other stuff) in the ceiling, I had to build the wall one stick at a time.  I laid out the sole plates and used a good ol' plumb bob to figure out where the top plate would go.


I used Tapcon bolts and my hammer drill to fix the sole plates to the concrete floor, then just cut cut cut.  So here it is...I don't know why the picture makes it look like the studs are out of alignment, but believe me - this is the only plumb and square wall at 173!  


And from the laundry room side...


Then it was time to put up the sheet rock.  I decided to go with 1/2" Hardiebacker cement board.  Even though the basement at 173 is dry and there's not been any mold...I figured what the hey!  Besides, it came in 3'x5' sheets which meant I could get it home in my car, that was probably the real reason!  So here's a fun little thing...part of the wall runs behind the hot water heater with about 2" of space behind and on the side.  There was no way in hell I was going to get my hand, let alone my drill in that little space...


Well, as it turns out, a bunch of years ago I found this really long Phillips head screwdriver on the ground in a parking lot.  I've had it in the workshop ever since and had never had a need to use it - until now.  To get screws in that cement board behind the water heater, I taped the screws to the screwdriver, and they went right in!


It took about two hours, but here it is - the new laundry room wall!


Another shot...


Still a long way to go to wrap up this project, but it's coming along and I think, somewhere out there I think I see a little flicker of light at the other end of the tunnel!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…