Skip to main content

More Laundry Room Progress!

When last we met, I had finally dove into the laundry room, and it was looking like this:


The painting is finally done...


...so I moved onto the plumbing.  I figured the plumbing was going to remain exposed, so I thought I'd give the quick connect fittings a shot.  Man!  those things are expensive, but they worked like a charm!  I added some wood blocks for support (and yes, they'll be painted), and strapped the hell out of the pipes.


And here's a wider shot...


The funny thing is, even though those quick connect fittings work great, it still took me an entire day to put it all together.  I had it all figured out one way, got half way through assembling it, and decided on another layout I thought would work better.  I wanted to be able to shut off the laundry water supply and the sink water supply separately, so it took forever.  In the end, I think it was well worth it. Of course the whole drain system for the sink had to be done too, but that was all PVC - much easier to work with!  So after two week without a washer and dryer, we can finally do some laundry (and just in time - the underwear drawer was running on empty!)!


Just a couple things to note - we got the big sink!  I don't know why that was so important to me, but I wanted the big one!  And when I was shopping for the faucet I wanted one with the long neck and a sprayer. I just happened (just happened - HA!) to be at Lowes and I found this one on clearance for $40.  I think the normal price was around $60 or $70, so I was a little tickled - my mother would be proud!  In the picture above there's a pail under the P-trap, that's just for a little while 'til we're sure it won't leak.


So there it is...the laundry room is well on it's way, just need to build another wall, fix the concrete next to the cold cellar door, and install a ceiling!  And the work continues...

Comments

  1. That looks great! Since you had the space for the big sink I don't see anything wrong with getting it and having more space in a sink (of any kind) is a good thing. Love the bucket, apparently you're as sure of your plumbing skills as I am, I spend days afterward checking for leaks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

Made at 173: Dining Room Table

OK, so this table wasn't exactly made at 173, but it was re-done!  Bear with me a minute.  For years the dining room was just missing something...


The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it: