Skip to main content

The Plant Stand

Not much has been done at 173 since last summer.  Life has a way of getting crazy, and it has! Nonetheless, one small project got done this winter - the plant stand.


173 inherited this stand from Mosher - the granddaughter of the family from whom we bought the house, and a dear friend.  I remember the first time I saw this stand when Mosher had a tiny little basement apartment.  When she married and moved away (booooo), she gave me this stand, I'm thinking I must have commented on it at some point in that basement.  If I remember correctly, when I took possession there were a few minor water marks on it, the rest of the damage was me.

Here you can see it in the corner - before the painting:


After all the work on the dining room last year, I really wanted to re-stain the stand, but I thought it might look best if it matched the new dining room table and the hutch.  Anytime you choose to paint an antique it stings a bit, but.....  Anyway, the decision was made.  

As with the table and hutch, the color was Valspar's Polar Star.


After priming and painting, each of the furniture pieces looked bright white.  While that's a decent enough look, it wasn't exactly what I wanted.  That's how I decided to use Valspar's Antiquing Glaze.  It really calmed the white down, and added architectural highlights on each piece.  Here are the products I used:


In the end, it turned out just how I thought it would.


It's new habitat:


So, simple project - done in a couple days - one more dining room project done.  Speaking of which, here's a pic of what we did with the top of the hutch:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…