Skip to main content

Spring '16 - Gettin' Started

Spring has finally arrived in upstate New York!  Not that it's been a particularly long winter, I think I heard this was the mildest winter on record.  Either way - we've had a beautiful couple days so I thought I'd get outside and get some things going.

First up - an old punch-list item.  A little over two years ago, I was working on the punch list after siding the front porch.  Well, I never quite finished that list - here's the evidence:


Once again I forgot to get a "before" pic until after I had gotten started.  What you can't see is at the bottom of the end-cap there was a huge hole.  Time and moisture had punked the wood a bit, and the neighborhood feral cats had dug through to make a home under the porch.  So I had to clean all that up, and used PVC boards to cover the end-cap.


Another punch-list item was the boards at the bottom of the porch.  I had put pressure-treated boards in place and primed them, but never got around to painting them.  Here's a shot of the north side of the porch before priming:


About a year after priming (and not painting) I decided to go with the PVC boards:


When I did the north side, for some reason I got distracted and only made it around to the other side of the stoop.  So today I did the south side of the porch:


The local wildlife had also tunneled under the side of the porch, so I filled in some soil and spread some gravel - that'll slow 'em down...for a second.

The other thing I got done was removing the stump for the much-missed birch trees we cut down a couple years ago


This one was not a matter of being lazy - my plan was to let the stump rot for a little while making it easier to remove - I just didn't intend it to be three years!


So I got it out, and it got me to thinking...this stupid little stump took me at least an hour, I can't imagine being a pioneer dude clearing acres of land - insane!  Anyway, got it out and now there's a couple more things off the OOOOLD punch list!

Comments

  1. Congrats! I'll bet it feels good to get these old projects done (finally).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…