Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Phase Complete

The last couple posts were about the gable and the oriel.  In this post I want to pull them together and add a couple other things that have been finished.  I think I have finally come to accept the fact that the exterior of the house - oh hell, forget about the exterior, the whole house is never really done.  But in this case, this phase (ha! phase connotes a plan!) is done, and the changes have been pretty dynamic!  I'll show a couple befores and point out some details, so bear with me.

This first picture is from several years ago...this'll set the tone:


OMG!  That wisteria, the stuff of nightmares!  And there's that dreaded rust on the fascia.  It's a funny thought how a house develops over time...at one point we were quite proud of how 173 was looking, now looking back!!!

Now...


So that was the front with the gable being the most recent development.  Then there was the oriel.  This shot was from 2001 when I put in the fence (look how orange it looked!). 


Then I sided the porch and installed shutters, and decided any window that didn't have shutters would be trimmed in black:


But after the gable was done and there were lots of leftovers and scraps well...the oriel was done and the windows were trimmed in white to match how the gable looked.


Just a ton more interesting!

Last summer I did a lot of work on the north side of 173, but didn't get the shutters on and didn't trim the kitchen window:


And now:


Then there was the back of the house.  For decades there was an antenna attached at the top.  Mr. Mosher had that thing attached so it would NEVER come down....it always freaked me out as a lightning rod!  Then there was that whole no shutters - black trim thing.


Now:


What's hard to see there is that the returns are now sloped to kinda match the sloped pediment in the front gable.  Just a nice little detail.


And look at that window!!  What you probably couldn't see in the "before" pic is that the frame on the storm window had rust all over it from rain dripping of the antenna.  So up I went and painted it with the ol' Rustoleum.  That isn't me in this next pic, but I wanted you to get a sense how high up that window is.


And here's a shot of the window:


And now a couple random beauty shots!




So, good start to the 2016 outdoor season!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Oriel

In the last post about the gable I mentioned there was more to come.  Well, more has come.  There's a bumpout of the dining room on 173.  It isn't much, but it adds a little architectural interest to the place.  As a matter-of-fact, all the houses on the street have the same bumpout.  And, did you know there's a proper name for this bumpout thing?  It's called an oriel!  Who knew?

Anyway, 173 has one, and it's always looked okay, nothing spectacular but it was nice as I said, to have that bit of architectural interest.  Here's a pic:


And another after the porch exteriors were done a couple years ago:


But here's my favorite picture.  Taken by the original owner in what looks to be about the 1930s:


After the gable was done a couple weeks ago, we had quite a bit of leftover scallops, and I was wondering what to do with them (they were a special order so they couldn't be returned).  Then the contractor had the idea to put them on the oriel (gotta use those new words!).  Here's how she looks now:


Not a great angle on that first one, but click on it and you might get a better sense.  The next two are just opposite angles.



I love how it turned out.  Really gave the oriel a nice bit of interest and character, and was an excellent use of leftovers!

More to come!

How-To Links

Text Widget