Skip to main content

Made at 173: The (New) Medicine Cabinet

In our last post I talked about an old Made at 173  project - the old medicine cabinet.
As you can see, the cabinet was overflowing with those remedies to ameliorate the pains and dyspeptic disorders of the aging denizens of 173,  Clearly it was time for a larger cabinet, and what better time than after a relatively major project that left scraps lying about the ol' workshop.  If you've read this blog for any amount of time, you know I like finding uses for project scraps, most of which can be seen on the Made at 173  page at the top of the blog.  

And so it began,  The plan was simple - make a bigger medicine cabinet, and use only materials leftover from the kitchen project, or stuff on hand at 173.  
The divider and shelves were an interesting mix...sawn-to-size, repurposed shelved from the kitchen nook, a piece of scrap wood, and a piece of scrap PVC board from some long-forgotten project.  The door were also made from some piece acquired long ago:
The hinges were leftover from the kitchen, but that isn't saying much.  When I ordered hinges off Amazon, I didn't read carefully, and didn't know hinges came in pairs (doh!).  So I ended up with twice the number of hinges that were needed...know anyone that needs hinges?  The handles (seen below) were the original cabinet handles, which is a nice way to integrate the original, which is something I always like to do if I can.  I also went retro, old-school, old fashion (or whatever else you wanna call it) and painted the cabinet white (leftover paint from the kitchen).
But - it was just a little too plain.  So, like I did with the buffet-side cart-typing table-thingy in the dining room, I made a stencil to add just a modicum of design to the cabinet:
And so, without further ado, here is the new medicine cabinet in its natural habitat:
There you go, a fun and useful little project - Made at 173!

PS:  That picture gives a hint at the kitchen reveal which is coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Back Stoop - Done! (Well, for the most part)

As a reminder, when I started the back stoop, which seems like forever ago, it looked like this:


So it was time.  At the end of the last post, the stoop was looking like:

It was getting there.  Really, all I had to do was paint, but if you know me - I......hate.....painting!  Stain on the floorboards and two coats of B-I-N primer, and two coats of paint later, here it was (of course Linus supervised throughout):

Oh, just a quick step backward - here's the stoop without the doors.  As you can see the mower and some other things are stored below:

What you can't see here is that the storage runs the entire length of the back porch, more storage is always good!  Anyway, I showed you in the first post about the stoop that I had built the doors, so all that was left was to paint them (of course - ugh) and hang them.  

Aaahhhhhh, so much better - or was it?  The pad outside the stoop looked like, well Ma will be reading this so - it looked like (insert your own word).  I hate when yo…

The Kitchen - Part 3: Walls

The walls were solid, but paint was peeling everywhere, and there were some rough spots throughout...


If you look closely at the picture above (and below for that matter, you can see the spackle in pink.  And, this next picture shows where there was a large dip in the wall that leads to the dining room.  It was significant enough that it made the ceiling look horrible, and I had to put so much spackle on that I figured I better put some tape in it:


I used this stuff:

I liked it because it went on pink, and when it was dry it turned white, taking the guessing game out of it.  Besides that, as to quality - well, it worked just like any spackling I suppose.
Then there was the area behind the stove - what a mess.  All these years there was this big piece of metal on the wall behind the stove, and a large piece of melamine on the wall next to it:

And here's the sheet of metal behind it:

Luckily it all came off pretty easily, but how ugly is that glue??

Only one thing to do - cover it:

The Kitchen - Part 1: Wainscoting

It's been awhile since the last post, but with school and work projects generally have to take  back seat.  However, One project did get started in the midst of my last class - the kitchen.  I still recall the day we had the first viewing of 173 way back in 1997, and the first thing noticed was that the kitchen needed to be redone.  Well, here we are 20 years later, and it's finally getting a refresh.  I'm still looking forward to one day having a complete remodel, but at least for now it's looking better.

The kitchen was so bad, I used to take pictures in black and white: 

Here's an old grainy pic looking toward the front hallway.  Dear lord, when you are living in it, you don't realize how bad it looks...soooo much stuff!

Same end, looking at the other side:

Then looking toward the back yard:

As I go through this post, I'll point out a few key items...like:

This is in the breakfast nook.  The paint on the walls was peeling badly...I wanted to tear the wa…